Pages

Tuesday 18 October 2016

Skegness Log: 2016-10-18 (MW: East Asia)

1278 1600  J  JOFR RKB Mainichi Hoso, Fukuoka (kyu-fuk) Time signal and YL RKB ID.
              Alone on 
frequency at this time Weak  9226 km
1575 1600 THA Voice of America/Radio Saranrom, Ban Phachi/Rasom (pay) Voice Of America, 
              Washington DC ID plus Yankee Doodle theme. Dominant on frequency. Weak  9410 km

This is a catch-up with my loggings again. My main hard drive decided to die just after my 1700 recording. So, what happened to my 1700 recording? The coax cable from my flag antenna decided to fall apart less than a minute before the top of the hour.

A new 500GB hard drive was bought and installed the following day, but that came hand-in-hand with the expected problems of installing Windows 7. I think I now know why it's called Windows '7', because that's the exact number of times I had to install it before it finally worked correctly! It wouldn't even accept the product key at one stage. Yet this is my own 'bought', i.e. 'paid for' Windows 7. While good when it was first released back in the late 00s, this version of Windows has become the biggest pile of shite I have known. It's almost as bad as Windows 98! and that's saying something. XP was my favourite and I doubt Micro$$$oft will bring out anything else in the future which will equal that. Windows 7 is great if you can avoid that service pack and all those damn updates. Beyond that, it just isn't the same.

A few bits and pieces:

Funny that 1575 VOA Thailand fires up on the same afternoon as CRI's Russian service resumes transmissions on 1521. Coincidence? Or is this the start of a new broadcasting quarter?

There seems to be some kind of re-organisation of the programmes, or at least in the ID sequences I hear from China lately. I probably wouldn't have been aware of this quite so quickly had it not been mentioned on the RealDX forum. Those familiar Chinese time signals are not always present on the usual frequencies, so it's easy to assume that conditions aren't allowing them through, but that's not necessarily the case since I have heard Chinese on those frequencies, but without their time signals. Perhaps these stations are carrying more of their own local or regional programming now.

Another observation about those familiar Chinese time signals: When I do hear them, they are now appearing more randomly 'around' the top of the hour. Over the last year or two, they were just about spot on to the very top of the hour.

Good DX!

John Faulkner, Skegness, Lincolnshire (JO03dd) 1m ASL
Blog: http://skegnessdx.blogspot.com
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/g1vvp
Vimeo Channel: https://vimeo.com/skegnessdx

Receiver: Perseus SDR Receiver
Software: Jaguar Big Cat
Antenna:  Movable 10ft x 25ft flag
Amplifier: G3PQA 17dB low noise pre-amp

No comments:

Post a Comment