Pages

Sunday 28 July 2013

What lies beneath the noise?

I can only guess! Maybe nothing. Maybe a lot! There's no way of knowing while it's there.

This is a recording of my noise today.

https://app.box.com/s/99dd58gh1gnd8bdilq07

The recording is in three parts.

The first part demonstrates the noise with three recordings:

1. As it sounds at the top of the band (108.0 MHz).
2. At the bottom of the band (87.5 MHz), both with the aerial facing east.
3. Beaming south, away from my noise, tuned to 107.8 to demonstrate a weak station.

The second part of the recording is a quick comparison between 2 and 1.

The third part is a quick comparison between 2 and 3. This is the 'must hear'.

The band is still not entirely quiet in 3, but beaming south gives me my best chance of less noise. But even with 3, the difference between the relatively quieter noise level and the lask of noise I would expect on a DX trip in an electrically quiet location is very noticeable.

I can only dream of what it must be like to live in a perfectly electrically quiet location.

No comments:

Post a Comment