Pages

Tuesday 20 August 2013

The 2013 Es Season in Skegness

It's all quiet on the eastern front! The Es have probably finished for the season, apart from the occasional stray opening here and there perhaps. Now we await the tropo season.

So, after my mid-term analysis, it's time to evaluate the overall Es season here on the east coast.

April
An excellent start at the end of the month - easily as good as your typical mid-season Es!

May
Amazing at the beginning! Day after day of good Es, some very strong, lasting several hours. It wouldn't be difficult to argue that this end-of-April/beginning-of-May period was the peak of the season! Conditions seemed to taper off a little by the end of the month, though there were still some good openings.

June
Another excellent month, but still continuing the gradual tapering, but you wouldn't turn your nose up at the conditions, which were still better than most Es seasons but, despite some good days of Es, you couldn't help notice the number of days when the Es were absent, probably because I have been spoilt by the conditions in previous weeks. The Es still continued in other parts of Europe, so just the luck of the draw playing its part.

July
As June really. Very good days and lots of them, but still with a gradual weakening trend.

August
What's happening? This is like April and May again! Conditions shot up, producing some of the strongest and most sustained Es of the season! But at the time of writing, the 20th August, there have been several E-less days, so I am guessing the season is finally fizzling out, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a few more good openings over the next couple of weeks.

Double Hop
Er, I don't think I had any. Unless you count Libya, the Canaries and the Azores as double hop. Some of these are often thought to be traditional single-hop Es with a tropo extension at the end of them though. Conditions are the time of these had high pressure in exactly the right place, so this theory holds up well, in which case I didn't have any double hop :O( Oh, and I had a presumed Turkish station right next to the Greek border, but that was probably just within the realms of single hop.

What I can report though is my best Es season ever, with 3783 individual Es loggings! Click to see  Still there is nothing concrete on my target country of Turkey, but I added the Aaland Islands, Monaco and Malta to my personal all-time log.

No comments:

Post a Comment