Pages

Sunday 30 December 2012

Reception of WCGO Evansville, Illinois on 1590


This one came as a very pleasant surprise, especially as medium wave conditions were not up to much at the time. WCGO in Evanston, Illinois came through here this morning, but I missed it the first time. Had I not heard somebody else's recording of their top of the hour identification I wouldn't have had a clue what to listen for, particularly as reception was so weak.

This logging is thanks to David Hamilton, who posted to the Skywaves Medium Wave group, reporting his reception of WCGO at 0700. His recording also demonstrated weak reception but decidedly better than my own. I then checked my overnight Perseus recording at 0700 and could just make out the call letters and location on a painfully weak signal. After comparing my recording to David's I could clearly hear it was the same Spanish man using the same speech intonation. I had no idea this station broadcast in Spanish. It's even more surprising since they are only reported as using 2.5 kW at night!

You WILL need headphones if you listen to this recording. Firstly you will hear David's recording, then my own. This is followed by a quick snippet of the two recordings played together, mine lagging a fraction of a second behind David's, thus producing a clear echo.

Good DX! - John

No comments:

Post a Comment